Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Accommodating Disability


WASHINGTONAmerican paper money represents an unfair impediment to the blind, and the Treasury Department must come up with new U.S. currency to help the visually impaired use cash, a federal judge ruled Tuesday.
U.S. District Judge James Robertson said keeping all U.S. currency the same size and texture violates the Rehabilitation Act, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in government programs.


This writer suffers from disabilities that make that sitting, standing, walking, sleeping, waking, bathing, dressing, even typing very difficult. Inside, I feel bad when someone let’s me get ahead of them when we are in a waiting line. Of course, I say "Thank you". When a kind person holds open a door for me, although I am grateful, I feel inadequate. That’s the reality.
But, please, don’t change our society because I have physical problems. Allow me the dignity to deal with it.